Saturday 24 October 2015

Birds Nests and Baggy Nets at - Bishop's Stortford FC

Saturday October 3rd 2015
Conference South
Bishop's Stortford vs Maidenhead




Stereotypes in football always fascinate me.

For example: If I said "Blatter" to you. You would probably think of Greed, Corruption and an old miserable fat bloke who reminds you a little bit of one of your inlaws...

Also if I said "Liverpool" you would think of scousers who always brag about the champions league, never seem to be walking alone and spending too much time on the History channel...

But what if I said "Millwall" to you. Your mind would probably think of people who want to always seem to want to smash everyone's face in and always seem to be bragging that they don't care that no one likes them.

But the Millwall fans I've met so far have been really friendly! You may or may not remember Steve and his two sons Luke and Teddy who I just happened to stumble across at Corley services on the way to Chester.

They asked me where I was going today and we both replied Bishops Stortford vs Maidenhead, not only that but I also learned that dan was coming along as well.

I've been to Stortford a number of times. The last time I went was an FA Trophy match against Chelmsford last season, in which Stortford went 4-0 up but ended in 4-3, that day I almost the comeback of the century. But narrowly missed out.


Bishops Stortford play in the conference south and have been there for quite a while now, their only recent claim to fame however was getting to the first round of the Fa Cup in 2013 and playing at home to Northampton which was broadcasted live on ITV. I wasn't at that game however I do have the Stortford scarf from that day in my collection since it was on sale last time I went for only £2.

Stortford is a pretty special town to me, most of my friends live/are from here since I attended one of the high schools in the town until recently. It is a really nice and relatively large town, the park has some great memories from previous years and the town features some pretty decent shops and a really nice Weatherspoons.

The only problem is the football ground is no where near the town centre or train station at all. Half and Hour walk up should make you collapse at the turnstiles. Trust me on that!!

I arrived at the ground an hour before kick off and payed £6 to go through the turnstiles in which I immiedietly met up with Dan and gave him a late birthday present, a book about non league called "Love not Money" which I don't read anymore.

Dan went and bought himself a pin badge and programme from the club shop and as we were coming back we spotted a couple Maidenhead fans and a very familiar face indeed.

Braintree's last manager before The Cowley brothers and fa cup winner Alan Devonshire.




We each said our hellos to each other and I got myself a picture. Not only that but a few ex braintree players who followed Devo to Maidenhead including Karl Penty in goal.

After that we both met Steve and his son Teddy in the bar. His other son Luke wasn't with them today, instead he headed to Peterborough away with Millwall.

The four of us headed round behind the goal in which Stortford were going to be shooting in and the game begun.


Fairly Baggy nets from Stortford



If Carlsburg did selfies.... Teddy opening his mouth for some reason, Steve wondering what's going on and Dan on my right smiling for once.
Much was to talk about today including laughing at a Facebook page both Steve and teddy are in called "Non League Bins" where members post bin pictures from different grounds with excellent puns accompanying them.

However the topic which almost started World War three between the three of us was:

"Do you prefer baggy or tight nets"

This lasted the whole of the first half with me and Steve being pro-baggy whilst Dan and Teddy being pro-tight.
Devonshire's Stoke city tactics hadn't changed however, it was still a case of pass to right or left back, then hope for the best by launching the ball down field.


A corner eventually came Maidenheads way and with a great cross in an header came the strikers way and he headed home.

Stortford meanwhile were playing like Arsenal. Doing some great pass and move play but couldn't find there shooting boots apart from one effort which hit the bar.


HT: Bishops Stortford 0-1 Maidenhead

Half time approached and before switching ends I got myself some chips for £2.50 which weren't too bad to be fair.

The ground itself again isn't too special. It has a small main stand just like the one at Bromley another small seating area opposite and two stands behind the two goals which almost mirror each other. Since it's near Stansted airport you see planes constantly come in for land. Another fun fact is that the half way line is the Hertfordshire/Essex border, funny that.



The second half got underway and for some reason a bird of some sort flew over us and went under the roof somewhere to it's birds nest which it for some reason decided to set up there.
The Birds Nest was somewhere up there



Second half started like the first half ended with Stortford playing still like Arsenal but this time not taking hardly any shots whatsoever.

Devo's men capitalised on this and went down the other end and scored an easy one on one chance from the left side and the striker slotted home.


From that nothing really happened in the rest of the match apart from me finishing my chips and Dan and Teddy still trying to say that tight nets are better than baggy.

FT: Bishops Stortford 0-2 Maidenhead

With that we all said our goodbyes and headed home. It had been a really decent day meeting up it's a shame all the goals were down the other end, still at least they were scored in baggy nets!


Maidenhead first and second goals captured by Dan:
http://youtu.be/-w2MCmCboJ0
http://youtu.be/NiESvR5bN24



Rest of the photos:












No comments:

Post a Comment