Friday 14 August 2015

Lady Pies at - The Women's Fa Cup Final (Wembley)



The first Wembley trip of the season arrives near the end, April/May time. Usually a play off final or an Fa Vase or Trophy final. However I managed to get cheap tickets about a month back to the Women's Fa cup final at £5 per person, so an early Wembley trip was on the cards.

My mum was willing to go with me and my brother because she wanted to go to the Wembley outlook shopping centre, Therefore we arrived fairly early. 
When we entered the outlook centre, I spotted a few Jacksonville Jaguars american football stuff, they were promoting the team over here since they are playing an international series game in October, which I am attending.


 Personally I'm a Washington Redskins fan, and by chance on the day I was wearing my Redskins home jersey. So I had a go at the inflatable course with my brother, which burned 1 or 2 calories before the game started. I also got a few freebies including pens, wristbands and a poster.

 With my mum purchasing some new shoes and my brother a new school bag we headed over to the stadium after having some lunch.

 I had a brief chat before the game with a Chesterfield fan by the Bobby Moore statue who I'd met before in Braintree's fa cup 1st round tie against the spiretes last season he was there with his wife and two kids and were sitting in the Notts County end.


 We were sitting in the Chelsea end but I opted for buying a Notts County scarf as I went in, instead of the horrid half and half scarfs or the leftover Wycombe and Southend play off scarfs. I was going to supporting the underdog this match. Also because the Notts County ladies team produced one of the best free kicks in the modern game. Very cheeky and clever thought out. (Video at the end)




Chelsea were the team who looked the more lively in the first half, having a few shots from outside the box and a few runs down the wing. 

Notts County did put some balls through to there players as well, but the problem was there was hardly any support from other team mates so 1 County striker faced the task of trying to get past 3 or 4 Chelsea defenders.

The deadlock finally came for Chelsea when the ball was played to forward Eniola Aluko who made a run into the box, and in my opinion was given too much room to run at the Notts County defence, who then passed it to midfielder and South Korean international Ji So-yun who managed to get it round the County keeper.

HT: Chelsea 1-0 Notts County


The attendance was pretty good considering that this was the first women's game to be played at the stadium. Later on we actually heard we had broken a new record for attendance for a women's cup final, it originally was 25,000 in 2008 but this time around it was around 30,000.


Futhurmore it wasn't just Chelsea and Notts County fans in the crowd. I was in fact sitting next to a few women who had made the trip to the final from the midlands. a few of them had Birmingham City and Aston Villa shirts on.

 They were rooting for Notts County as well, sometimes you heard one of them shout "LADY!!" And the rest return back with "PIES!!" This was a reference to the teams nickname "The Lady Magpies"

 Much like the Chelsea men's team, the blues decided it would be best to park the bus in the second half they did have a few breaks down the wing but they were always intercepted by County defence.

County themselves had a few breaks but unfortunately couldn't get pass the bus. 
Full Time: Chelsea 1-0 Notts County Player of the match was awarded to Eniola Aluko which I agreed with, and Chelsea won the cup.


Overall a good day at Wembley Here's the free kick video: 

Rest of the Photos:






No comments:

Post a Comment